Thursday, January 31, 2008

Out at Sea

1-30-08

All I have to say is that I’m totally rocking the sunglasses tan. Luckily, however, so is about half of the ship. 7 days till Brazil! I’m taking Portuguese lessons, which they offer one hour a night till we get there. Oi, tudo bem! (aka:hey, how are you!)

It’s one of two days for Drop/Add and it has been CRAZY. We had to pick numbers and then go in one by one to the registrar. They opened at 7am, and kids had literally camped out to get in line at 530am. When I went to pick up a number at 9am, I got 188 and they had just seen #29. I will get seen tomorrow though, so I’m really not stressing out about it. Unfortunately by that time who knows what classes will be open. Every hour they repost all of the open courses, and if they call your number and none of the classes you want are there you either stick with your class or go back in line for another number. I’m pretty sure they’re handing out #s somewhere in the 350’s. If I really didn’t like this class I would never have gone through all of this. Kids are getting pretty bitchy about it too. A lot of the kids on this ship are pretty intense, and I think they all need to calm down a little bit. Kids were really freaking out. I guess it helps that my roommate is really calm and chill, and she totally calms me down as well. Really there’s no need to get worked up about some of the little things that piss you off. On some of the trips in Puerto Rico I heard nothing but complaints about “the bus ride being too long” “the life jackets are already wet, so now I’m cold” and “when do we get to leave;” and I really wanted to slap them in the face. You are in Puerto Rico checking out one of the bio bays of which there are only four lagoons in the world, and you’re mad that you can’t swim in the lagoon (which would kills millions of the bios). Though, I will admit that there are two things I would change about this ship that would make me the happiest person in the world—a sandwich bar where you could make your own sandwiches (other than pb&j) and internet access available in your room. I know I can get worked up about the little things too, but this trip is definitely helping with that (mainly because I’m seeing how unnecessary and obnoxious it is)! Ciao!

2 comments:

Sara said...

hi!!! so exciting ...i love hearing your writing again its been so long! i didn't understand, is it 250 minutes of internet for the entire semester?!?!? you dont have to answer but i miss you and i love you and i can't wait to hear more!

Ally said...

yep. unfortunately it's 250 minutes for the whole semester. we are allowed to buy more minutes, however. I know I'm going to have to buy more because trying to figure out my schedule for classes next semester will take up tons of time, but I am trying to hold out for as long as possible. It's also nice not being tied down to the computer all the time. It's a nice break from facebook and constant email checking. Miss you and love you!