Friday, June 18, 2010

Equality Across the Board

One of the trainers who I often see when I work out at the gym is incredibly friendly. He is a very fit, buff black man, probably in his late thirties or forties. He always remembers you when you walk through the door, offers tips, and will chat up every and any one.
My gym clothes consist mainly of the ridiculous t-shirts I've accumulated through high school and college. From ballet and dance productions, sorority, LGBT and other free shirts.
The friendly trainer always reads my shirts, and usually makes some sort of comment. He'd previously noticed my "Gay? Fine by me" LGBT Bucknell shirt. He sort of nodded, I think not entirely sure what to make of it. Then today, I wore my Sorority Recruitment shirt all the staff and gamma-chi's wear: "No matter the letter, we're all Greek together." So the trainer approaches me, "All right. I just have to know. Are you an Equality across the board kind of girl? Because I remember your 'Gay' shirt. And someone nearby had asked me what I thought of it. And I had said that I thought there was nothing wrong with it, and that you have to know the person wearing it. And I thought of you as a sort of Equality Across the Board kind of person. Especially with your shirt now." (OR something along those lines.) He later commented how refreshing it was that I felt that way, because so many people nowadays were one-sided and and unaccepting.
I had, of course, replied that, Yes, I was an "Equality Across the Board" kind of person. That was exactly how I felt. We continued to chat for a little longer, but it really got me thinking about what I really did believe. And I came to the following conclusion.
I am an Equality Across the Board person. I truly, and deeply, believe that regardless of race, religion, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural and philosophical beliefs, we are all human. All children or souls of God, or Gods, or some higher spiritual being or pull, cosmic force, fate, ghosts, or even just luck, random chance or coincidence (whatever you so choose to believe or not believe in). But that we are all ultimately equal beings in an environment that consists of something above and beyond our one self. Even if it is only for one other person, be it lover, mother, cousin, pet. If it is only for close family and friends. For your neighbors. For your cultural identity. For your community. As long as a person is living and acting, breathing, loving, doing for anyone or anything above a personal, selfish gain.
And the only people I don't like are those that are self-righteous or intolerant and un-accepting. Anyone who thinks they are better than others because of their religious, cultural, ethnic, racial or other beliefs. Now, there is the "better" sense in smaller terms, of which, I am completely victim to and I feel is understandable and acceptable. Some people are smarter than others, they may have more knowledge, wisdom. Some people are more talented, in sports or arts. So they may be 'better' in one sense or form, but I do not think that anyone is better simply because of what they do/don't believe or worship in, because of race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc. Or deserve any more respect or virgins in heaven because of it.
I think a person's deeds, kindness, reactions and interactions with others affect the level of respect and/or 'holiness' of an individual. I feel a person's worth is far more based on their relationships with others. (Though I am not trying to belittle one's relationship with one's self. It should be healthy, of course, but I think that health is very much based on how one interacts with others.)
And those who are not tolerant of others for some reason or another. Tolerance is not an easy skill, I am well aware. It is something that has to be worked on. Everyone has their own prejudices, biases, and experiences that affect their tolerance and acceptance. So I realize that a person may not always be able to give complete acceptance and tolerance (I know that I do not), but one should always try to. And I do try. And I think most people do.
IT all goes back to: peace. love. hugs. and cake. Or as the guy at my gym says, "Equality Across the Board."

No comments: