Saturday, June 16, 2012

Haarlem's Top 5

In my past travel postings, I have learned that people don't want to read epically long writings about a million different things. So despite all of my angst as a writer that longs to write about the beauty of each moment I have spent in my travels, and for the sake of my readers (should I hopefully have any), I have decided that my Europe Trip escapades shall be broken into the "Top 5 (or 10) Highlights," and a few fun facts for each pit stop.


Fun Fact #1: The people here have impeccable genes. Tall, blond, thin and polite. What's not to like?
Fun Fact #2: Colette and my catch-phrase for Haarlem is, "Am I in the street?" The sidewalks and roads are both the same brick, and there is no clear distinction between the two.

I present...

De Adriaan Windmill

Haarlem, Holland's Top 5:

5.  Harleem is everything that's beautiful and quaint. Its cobbled streets that wind down the canal are equally matched by the long, thin legs that ride bikes along it. There is a harmony in its 18th and 19th century architecture that house modern, posh clothing stores and quaint eateries. The Grote Kerk (Great Church) that is at its center is large and glorious, and its bells that chime every hour are simply melodious.
4.  Visiting the de Adriaan Windmill. Is it the most stereotypical object that Holland has to offer? Yes. Well, windmills and tulips and little dutch clogs. Is it any less exciting? No. Even better is sitting beneath it, sipping on a cappuccino while looking at a duck family swimming in the canal surrounding it.
3.   The Grote Markt. (Great Market) It's open on Monday for clothing and Saturday for food. (While it's only 3 - 4 rows of stalls, it certainly feels great.) Luckily, we experienced a Saturday at the Grote Markt. In the center of Harleem, in the courtyard of the Church, the Dutch meander the crowded stalls of fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, and dog treats. A few jewelry and clothing stalls sneak their way in, but the aroma of a freshly baked spinach & feta baked pie is intoxicating (and equally delicious, I might add). Colette sipped on freshly squeezed orange juice (verse jus de orange), and I downed a strawberry-rasberry-banana type smoothie. The flower stalls are packed with brightly colored tulips and roses, which also manage to climb up the walls of the buildings on the streets. The cherry on the sundae? There is a group of men and women dressed in clown wigs and capes that play traditional European music that serenade you as you wander up and down the aisles.
2.  The Dutch are polite. The Dutch are nice. The Dutch are unobtrusive. They make the bitter, chilly wind bearable. They leave you be but do not ever make you feel unwelcome. Maybe it's all of the Vitamin D they get from the 19 hours or so of daylight they get every day, but I have certainly enjoyed it. Case in point- Colette ordered a vodka with soda water and lemon. Despite being out of lemon, the waiter walked down the street to another bar to get her one. Case #2: Even though I feel like a dumb American when I have to ask, "Do you speak English?" to every person I encounter, their response is always, "Of course. How can I help you?" Not a single undertone of annoyance, and always make sure we feel comfortable. Dutch = Hospitality to a T. 
1.  Just walking around Haarlem. I feel comfortable here. I love walking up and down the brick streets. I love looking at the architecture and flowers. I love the people. No wonder my parents lived here for a year. If I ever live abroad, this will be a strong contender in the fight. They wouldn't muscle their way to first place with punches and snipes; they'd complacently wait for me to come to them. 


...Perhaps, someday, I will again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. And yes, Holland is a wonderful country. I could've lived there forever. Glad you got to see the best of it AND tulips!!! Glad you're having fun.

Katie Norwood said...

Fun! It looks very quaint. I'd like to sip a cappuccino and look at windmills, too! Can't wait to see the rest of the places you visit.