Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hong Kong

4.4.08
HONG KONG!
I wish I could have more time in this city. It reminds me of New York, except a whole LOT cleaner and the people walk a hell of a LOT slower. It’s truly a metropolis, and unlike any of the other ports we’ve been to. It probably helps that it’s a lot colder here than any other city, but still. I spent the first day walking around with my roommate, Nicki and Tea. We got traditional Chinese food for lunch, and it was absolutely delicious. I got chicken teriyaki with noodles. It does taste different than American Chinese food, but I still like both. After walking around for a few hours, the three of them had to go because they’re going to the Great Wall independently, so they had to catch a flight. I tried to go to the Hong Kong Museum of Art, but it was closed. Instead I walked around the Cultural centre and then went to the Space Museum. It was pretty cool, definitely more geared towards children but still good. I walked around for a bit longer before heading back to the ship for dinner. At 8pm every night, Hong Kong puts on a laser light show, so I was able to watch it from the ship. It wasn’t spectacular, but it was still pretty cool. All of the different skyscrapers have lights on them that flashed different colors and made different patterns as well. Hong Kong really has the most amazing city skyline I’ve ever seen. I decided to stay in for the night, unlike the hundreds of girls going out to the bars in skimpy outfits when it was freezing outside. Not my style. My University trip doesn’t leave until 10:30am, so I figured I would take the time to write a short blog update before I get back from the Great Wall. I am so excited for this trip. We’re staying on a college campus, Tsinghua University. We have a Chinese guy on the ship, Xi, and he was saying that our college is like the Yale of China…and all of the kids will probably be socially awkward. I’m not going to lie, that makes me pretty excited. Not only do we get to see the Great Wall, we’re going to the Beijing Zoo to see the pandas, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven and I think a silk market as well (plus a few more exciting places). I get back late on Monday, and then I get to spend my last day in China in Shanghai. I’m going to visit the Peking Opera School…I know, Er Dong would be proud. Pretty much, China is going to be absolutely amazing and it’s already off to a great start! I can’t believe I’m in CHINA!

No comments: