Tuesday, March 25, 2008

First Day of Rehearsal for "When Shakespeare's Ladies Meet"

3.26.08
Last night was my first rehearsal for the second show with Daina. Rehearsal was both slightly frustrating and really good. First, I think it’s going to be hilarious. It’s a script about the ladies of Shakespeare all meeting up to try and give Juliet some advice about love, and in the end learn more from her. It’s already a funny play, but Daina is doing it Bollywood style (those crazy Indian movies that are insane musicals). We are going to be doing lip syncing songs from Kiss Me Kate (Too Darn Hot, I Hate Men, Another Openin) and even a few random ones like Stop! In the name of love. I play the part of Ophelia, who is just completely nuts. It’s going to be so much fun! I get to wander around the entire stage aimlessly, and I actually get to dance. I kind of get an opening song of which she wants me to choreograph my own dance to, so that’s very exciting. I’ve decided to do a tribute to Flashdance and whip out “Maniac” by Michael Sambello, which I figured is very appropois to my character’s insanity. Also, it’s only six of Shakespeare’s Ladies, but she’s bringing guys into it. They won’t be speaking in high, squeaky voices or dressed like girls, but they will have all the mannerisms of it. Some of us are the same character throughout the show, but two of the female roles are switched halfway through from being played by a girl to a boy. I’m Ophelia the entire time, Melanie (who was in Overruled) is Portia for the entirety, Kadero (who was also in Overruled) is Cleopatra for the whole show…and he’s going to be hilarious with it, and Big Tom (this huge guy who has a booming voice) is Juliet for the whole show. Desdemona and Katherine switch between two guys and girls. Of course, Daniel (the annoying one from Overruled) is Katherine for part of it, but I’ve actually gotten used to him and have finally been able to accept his unreliability and kind of just laugh at it. So what could be frustrating? Well, it seems Big Tom may have taken Daniel’s place. Just doing a read-thru yesterday, he had the biggest trouble just delivering a line. I think he must have some sort of learning disability, because he couldn’t even pronounce relatively simple words like “variable.” It’s hard because he was very apologetic about it, and I’m sure once he looks at it more he will be fine; it can just be very frustrating when he has sooo many lines and he couldn’t get through one of them without stopping. We’re going to have our scripts memorized, however, so I’m sure he’ll be fine once he knows it. I’m really excited for this play. We perform it April 19th, so we have some time; I, of course, will make sure that my roomie tapes it for me too so I will documented evidence of it. Well, we dock in Vietnam tomorrow! The next day I leave for Cambodia. I can’t believe we’re already almost in Vietnam. This trip is just flying by…or should I say swimming by? ha ha. I know, I know, that was lame. Sorry. I should start getting ready for class, but I hope all is well in the states! I'll let you know how much I love Cambodia and Vietnam!

No comments: