Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sunny Days

3.6.08
Well, the day started out a little rocky, but it ended out being pretty kick ass overall. I had an Archaeology test in the morning, and I didn’t do so hot. Eh, not too concerned about it. Then I thought I had my poetry test later in the day, so I spent most of the rest of the afternoon studying for it. I found out that the test was next class (so it’s not till Monday), but it turned out ok because it was a review day and since I had actually studied I was prepared with legit questions to ask. I also got a study group together to study for the actual test, so not too bad. Then I ran into Daina, who was the director of Overruled. She gave me a script for another play she wants to do and basically handed me a part in it if I wanted. Of course I said yes, and I will have to go the auditions and read for it, but she pretty much gave me the role. I haven’t read it yet, but it’s about the different ladies of Shakespeare meeting up. Daina said she wants to do it Bollywood style (in honor of India) and include lip syncing pop songs, so it should be a lot of fun. She said I would be great for Ophelia, so I’m pretty excited. Then I had to rush to another “rehearsal.” So, in preparation for the Sea Olympics there have been Sea Captain’s challenges (the two kids who are elected from the sea) to determine who gets to come in last (which is the best) for the Opening Ceremonies on Saturday. We didn’t do so hot in the first one, and the second one we did average in. The third challenge they were allowed to have help from everyone in the sea, and we had 5:22 minutes to tell any stories in any way/shape/form about what had happened to people in any of the ports. I got sucked into doing it the other night when I was walking down the hall and ran into our sea captain Jason. He looked so stressed out and overwhelmed, I couldn’t say no when he asked. Now, I didn’t have any really good or funny stories, but my roommate did and I had permission to use hers. When she was in Mauritius and staying at a hostel/villa place, she went swimming in the ocean late at night with her guy friend, Alex. She got stung on her arm by a really poisonous, deadly jellyfish. Since no stores were open to buy anything to stop by the stinging, she made Alex pee on her arm. The only problem is he got a little stage fright and wouldn’t do it, so she was yelling at him on the beach, “Just pee on it already!” Finally he did, which helped for a little bit, but then she broke out into a cold sweat and her muscles seized up. They ended up rushing her over to a hospital, and of course, they only spoke French. They were sticking needles in her and rapidly discussing things in French without telling her what was going on. They even made her sign a contract but wouldn’t translate it for her. She spent the night there, and they gave her some sketchy medication to take home. She went to the Dr. here and got legit medicine though, and she survived—so that’s good. We decided to do our storytelling Real World style. We videotaped the “opening sequence” the night before, changing the usual words to something more appropriate for our situation. Then seven of us came onto the stage and told two stories, mine (well, my roommate’s really, but I reenacted it) and this other kid’s, Gabe, who had gone to a club in Rio (when we were in Brazil) and they told him he wasn’t allowed in without jeans (it was pretty upscale). He didn’t want to go all the way back to the hotel because it was so far away, and all he had were J Crew shorts, anyways. So he traded some random guy on the street and got his jeans for 50 reals. They were a little short, but apparently it worked. Then, Jason (sea captain) sung a song on his guitar and told a few more stories about stupid things kids had done. It was pretty damn funny, and after watching most of the other seas, we knew we had one of the best. (My friend recorded it, so I will be able to get it on my computer if anyone’s interested.) One sea did a Mad Libs style story. We had to give a bunch of different adjectives/adverbs etc and they were incorporated into the written story, and they had two kids act out whatever was written. They won 3rd place. Another sea did a spin of “Real Men of Genius” (the Budweiser commercials) and made fun of the head of our Field Office (all in good fun), Carl. They won 2nd place. None of the other seas were anything worth mentioning, which obviously means that WE WON the challenge! It was pretty damn exciting, because we were not doing too well before. This means we won’t have to be the first to walk in to the ceremonies, which is very good because the later you walk in the more people will see you. Overall, it was a pretty good day. I’m also doing lip syncs for the Olympics, however, so I had to start working on that with the others. I don’t really like what “we” came up with, but it’s not a big deal and I’m sure it will turn out fine. We have to work on it later today and probably all night to get it done. We’re doing a montage of songs that will tell a story. It’s a stupid storyline that we pretty much all fight over the same guy and then tell him to piss off. I know, I know, and it’s all lame pop songs. No one was up for oldies or the 80’s so my ideas (and enthusiasm) were debunked. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll make it fun anyway. Well that’s life on the ship for now. Off to class!

No comments: