Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sea Olympics

3/9/08
SEA OLYMPICS!
Well, at least we didn’t come in last place, just second to last. We do have one of the smaller seas and definitely one with the least active participation. We also don’t have very many guys in our group, so most of the sporting events we would have full teams of girls against some intensively competitive guys. I competed in Slippery Twister but the girl I was against literally pushed me off the board, so I was out for that. Lip Syncs went pretty well (even though I messed up quite a lot), but we still didn’t place. It didn’t help that we were up against boys in drag for a lot of the other numbers. I’m pretty sure I pulled a muscle in my butt though, which is not so much fun. During one of our last minute rehearsals for lip syncs, we were practicing in a classroom. We moved most of the desks, except for one in the back center. I, of course, slammed into it and managed not only to seriously bruise it but to pull a muscle as well. Ten minutes later I also hit my head and now have a slight bump. I’m kind of a mess. It’s ok, ibuprofen helps. Our Lip Sync was a montage of pop songs that told a story. We started out with “What a man” then went into “Be My Girlfriend” by N’Sync then a little “Before he cheats” by Underwood into “The Boy is Mine” by Brandi and Monica (complete with a full-on cat fight), next was “No Scrubs” by TLC, a little old school “Hit the Road Jack” and the finale of “I will love again!” My roomie taped it with my camera, and I watched it already. It’s not the greatest quality but you get the idea. Overall, between the competing and watching my friends compete and the never-ending lip sync rehearsals and consistently injuring myself, I was VERY ready for the day to end. If my butt didn’t keep waking me up at night from soreness and sleeping on it wrong, it would have been a wonderful night’s sleep from pure exhaustion.
Two days until India! We have our Cultural Pre-Port meeting tonight, so that’s always very exciting. I can’t wait to buy tons and tons of scarves and saris. I think we lose another hour of sleep tonight, unfortunately. Well actually, I think it’s an hour and a half. I know! Weird, but it’s because India wants its entire country to be in the same time zone, so we have to lose a half hour. I think after India we lose the other half hour. I think that will be pretty awkward.
In other news, we had the last trip lottery. I got into both day trips in Japan that I really wanted, so I will have the chance to go to Kyoto and Nara. I got most of the trips that I wanted, and I think the only one I didn’t get that I was looking forward to was going to a rainforest in Costa Rica. Today is alternate trip day, which means we can go to the field office and see what open trips they have left, so I will see if I can’t get something else fun to do while I’m in Costa Rica. I will figure something out. If not, we are only there for two days so I’m sure I can find enough stuff to keep me busy.
I think that’s about it from here, so I hope everyone has/had a great spring break! Get some sun! I probably won’t get another chance to update everyone until I get back from India, so until then…bye! I just hope my stomach can handle the dirtiness of eating in India, and I plan on bringing a full roll of toilet paper with me on my three day trip to the Taj Mahal.

No comments: